I’m sure you’ve probably heard about the Balmain X L’Oreal collaboration by now – this is a collection of twelve L’Oreal Colour Riche lipsticks that possess all of high fashion brand Balmain’s typical drama and glamour, combined with celebrating diversity in all its forms.
This limited edition collection comprises of 12 tailor made, couture, matte finish lipsticks, with Balmain’s Creative Director Olivier Rousteing promising shades suitable for every woman, no matter her origin. The 12 shades are divided into three groups or ‘tribes’ – Couture, Rock and Safari, with each expressing a key element of the Balmain brand.
Couture (black packaging)
“The Couture selection celebrates Balmain’s historic couture origins and the glamour that has been associated with this house ever since M. Balmain first opened his atelier. As modern as today’s silhouette may be, my team and I never forget our roots and always rely on our incredible archives for inspiration.” Olivier Rousteing.
- 246 Confession – a muted terracotta pink.
- 355 Domination – a true red.
- 356 Confidence – a light nude pink with a touch of shimmer.
- 468 Liberation – a deep purple.
Rock (blue packaging)
“Anyone who knows me knows I can’t separate music from fashion. These four shades reflect themes that have been important both in recent shows and in my life (and what really makes music inspiring for me) – breaking rules, rebelling and always remaining true to yourself.” Olivier Rousteing.
- 467 Freedom – a mid toned purple.
- 650 Power – a chocolate brown with shimmer.
- 901 Rebellion – an intense royal blue.
- 902 Legend – a greige toned taupe.
Safari (green packaging)
“The Glamazon offerings look to our runways’ love of strong women warriors – our Balmain Army, of course – as well as themes of adventure and safari, which have inspired so many of my collections. The tones come from the earth, recalling the intensity and beauty of the Amazon jungle, the never-ending desert, the spectacular rocks of the American West.” Olivier Rousteing.
- 469 Fever – a fiery bright orange.
- 647 Urban Safari – a light nude.
- 648 Glamazone – a warm mid brown.
- 905 Balmain Instinct – a khaki green with a shirt of sparkle.
From top to bottom the shades I have above are –
- 905 Balmain Instinct
- 902 Legend
- 467 Freedom
- 469 Fever
- 647 Urban Safari
- 901 Rebellion
- 648 Glamazone
Though Olivier has promised ‘a shade for everyone‘, I must say that as a overall as a collection, the shades are pretty out there, an definitely won’t appeal to everyone. There are a couple of more mainstream shades included, such as a true red and a muted pink, but the majority would definitely be classed as high fashion colours that are targeted at a specific demographic.
– But that’s ok, this collaboration isn’t aimed at your every day gal shopping in Boots for a pink lippie. This collection is for the fashion conscious trendsetter, fans of Balmain that aren’t scared to rock an intense blue lip, or any shade their heart desires for that matter. And though I wouldn’t necessarily wear many of these colours myself, I can appreciate what they’re going for with this collection – it has a precise viewpoint which is pushing the envelope, offering avant-garde colours whilst championing strong, confident women, as well as diversity.
The lipsticks themselves are made with the classic L’Oreal Colour Riche formula, that’s smooth and creamy, with a semi matte finish. In terms of formula these are very easy to wear, and aren’t as drying as other matte lipsticks – so if you’re feeling daring, you should definitely give these a try!
The L’Oreal Paris X Balmain Lipsticks are £12.99 each and available now at , and
I hope you enjoyed my post xxx
This post contains press samples